So are you still in need of something fabulous to make for Thanksgiving? This is your lucky day! I took a Paula Deen Crunchy Top Apple Pie recipe and added a twist or two and it is simply amazing and honestly not that hard to do! Oh and I forgot to take a picture of the finished product we were so anxious to dig in!
I wished I had taken some images when it came out but we attacked it! I paired it with Haagen Dazs vanilla bean ice cream and should have made the caramel sauce from our apples a few weeks ago and that would have just been heavenly! Ahhh maybe next time right?
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 dash salt
3 1/2 cups peeled chopped cooking apples (golden delicious is my favorite, but also try Rome and Granny Smith) (I used Comstock canned apples-they are delish!)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce
2 tablespoons butter, chopped into small pieces
I added a teaspoon or so of my favorite vanilla-everything has to have vanilla in it!
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of the dough.
3. Toss apples with 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Pour over apples and toss. Stir in applesauce (I only used half of the applesauce and it was still a bit runny when it came out but they may be because I used canned apples-fresh apples may need the extra applesauce). Spoon this mixture into pie pan and dot with butter.
5. Cut remaining crust into strips; using every other one arrange over top of pie. Lattice in remaining strips (going the other direction, crossing over and under every other strip).
6. For crunch topping, combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and the brown sugar I added to the recipe. Cut in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of crust. I then sprinkled about a half cup of chopped pecans over the top.
7 . Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue to bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust and topping are golden brown.